Located between L'Isle and Pampigny, the commune of Mauraz has 60 inhabitants and covers an area of 48 hectares.
Since the Middle Ages, Mauraz has depended on Montricher and the convent of Romainmôtier. On 28 December 1719, a concession from the lord of Montricher authorised the inhabitants of the locality to "make an association of commune members". It is rare that we can give the exact date of birth of a rural commune in our country. At the end of the Bernese era, in 1764, Mauraz obtained its communal independence.