Measured by population, Morges is the eighth largest commune in the Lake Geneva Region and it can look back on a rich and eventful history.
Morges as we know it is of course a modern town, but the region around it underwent major developments in the prehistoric era. In its heyday, this Neolithic village built on wooden piles had as many as 2000 inhabitants. The archaeological remains of this lakeside settlement are registered as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
After the town was founded, it grew rapidly thanks largely to its central position and its castle, which remained in Savoyard hands until 1536 when the Bernese conquered Pays de Vaud and installed their bailiff in Morges Castle. The Bernese then enlarged Morges harbour, which became the transit point for large quantities of merchandise.
When the Vaudois people gained their independence in 1798, the new state became the owner of the Castle, which was converted first into an arsenal and then (in 1925) into a military museum.