Echandens has been a part of the Morges district since 1798. The communal territory has remains of the La Tène necropolis, of Bronze Age settlements and material, as well as Roman and early medieval remains.
Proudly overlooking its vineyard to the south, the Château hides behind a curtain of trees a façade with large Gothic mullioned windows and a long shaded terrace.
It was on the ruins of a feudal fortress - which belonged to the Chapter of Lausanne - that the present building (redesigned in the 17th and 18th centuries) was constructed in 1554 by Ferdinand de Loys, Lord of Denens, burgher and mayor of Lausanne. The inauguration took place in 1629.
The castle was built in the middle of the 16th century on the site of an earlier building. Echandens was part of the Bernese bailiwick of Morges; the commune was managed by the assembly of communiers. The General Council was replaced in 1942 by an elected Communal Council (legislature).
A wine-growing, tree-growing and agricultural commune until the 1960s, Echandens then experienced strong demographic growth.