The hoofstone was a reminder to tank drivers to prevent road damage.
The hoof stones were installed in 1812 by the canton of Vaud at the edge of the road at the top of the slopes to indicate that "The law forbids to drive without a hoof or to drive wood in drag".
The cart drivers used to block the wheels or drag logs to slow down on the slopes, which degraded the roads. The drawing suggested the use of hooves, a kind of ski to slide on the road.
La Sarraz’s hoof stones is in very good condition and can be seen at the edge of the road before the slope of the rue du Chêne.